IntroductionA Tag's Life is an application that derives popularity from user interactions in the online image database of Flickr and tracks its developments in space and time. It poses the question of how trends on the Internet fade with the progress of time and demonstrates the rise and fall of tags.
- Apr 2009: The entire Tagties exhibition, including A Tag's Life travelled to Prague for the ENTER festival. The exhibition was shown at DOX, Centre for Contemporary Art from April 22nd till April 25th as part of ADAPT! (Part Two), an exhibition as an electroboutique and an arena for extremophiles and brainwaves sensors.
- Mar 2009: A Tag's Life has been included in the online exhibition Tagties of the National Museum of Contemporary Art in Athens! The exhibition will be online until the end of August. During these months the exhibition will also be available to view in the media lounge of the museum.
- Dec 2008: Sabine Niederer from Impakt did an interview with us for It's About Time.
- Dec 2008: A Tag's Life is included in the online exhibition It's About Time of Impakt.
- Nov 2008: The website for A Tag's Life has been launched.
AboutA Tag's Life has been developed using Processing, a Java-based open source programming language. The data is collected using Python and the Flickr API. The manual describes the functionality and design choices for this application.
A Tag's Life was created as a student project for the Information Visualization course at the Universiteit van Amsterdam. It has been developed into a working application with the support of Impakt and MultimediaN.